Constructed in 1931 by the brilliant architect Wyatt C. Hedrick, the building was originally the passenger depot and corporate offices for the Texas & Pacific Railway.
The station was the major transportation hub for north Texas for almost 36 years attracting passengers from all over the world, presidents such as FDR and Eisenhower and famous celebrities like Elvis Presley.
As plane travel "took off", travel by train became less and less popular thus ending service in 1967. Years later, HUD occupied the building and used it for government offices. In 2001, the Trinity Railway Express began commuter railway service to and from Dallas. A few years later, in 2005,
the upper floors where renovated turning them into condos. In addition, the adjacent mid-rise condo building was constructed taking on the name Texas & Pacific Lofts.
The newspaper stand attached to the front of the diner (now our outdoor patio bar) was a source of information for travelers and tourists alike. Pictured here from left to right: Frank P. Carvey (Original Diner Owner), Hostess/Cashier, Owner of Trinity News Company, Railroad Employee, Mr. Condor (Superintendent of T & P Building & Warehouse), Railroad Employee, Mr. Merrill (Superintendent of T & P Building & Warehouse).
Photo credit: Byrd Williams. The T & P Diner served train passengers everything from flapjacks to pies and included an old fashioned soda fountain. It was operational from the 1931 until 1967 when the T & P Railway service ended. It had a brief reopening in the mid 1980's. Much like a time capsule, this photo was taken during the diner's vacancy. We have the cash register pictured here on display.
Joanne & Nate Weber purchased the old diner space in 2008 and started self-funded renovations immediately. "It was important to use to keep as much of the historic charm as possible. As a matter of fact, we made use of everything original. The only new additions are the restrooms and the free-standing furniture."
Copyright © 2018 T & P Tavern - All Rights Reserved.